Transfer Students


We welcome students who wish to transfer to BYU from other universities in order to complete a BS degree in Chemical Engineering. A significant number of students do this each year. For you to graduate at BYU in the least amount of time, it is important that you take the correct sequence of technical courses while at your university of origin. Chemical Engineering at BYU is an extremely challenging major; earning B or higher grades in your chemistry, calculus, and other technical classes indicates you have a good chance of succeeding in this program. Please see the following documents that give general policies for transfer credit and describe what technical courses would most apply to our program.

Students coming from BYU-Idaho

Students coming from all other universities

For information on transfer of non-major, general education, or core classes, contact the BYU Registrar.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am not yet admitted, but am thinking about transferring to BYU to earn a B.S. degree in engineering. Who should I contact to get help?

The BYU registrar's office is good place to start. Once you are admitted and if you have declared Chemical Engineering as your major, then review the above "Students coming from ..." document that applies to your situation and contact your Chemical Engineering academic advisor This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with any further questions. When you get to Provo, Mrs. Huff will fill out the paperwork that allows your transfer credits to count toward Chemical Engineering graduation requirements.

What classes should I take my first semester at BYU?

To know what classes to take first, you need to make a detailed plan that lists what classes you will take each semester until graduation. This will ensure you are not missing a key class that would delay your progress. To formulate that plan, carefully review the information on the department website, particularly the visual map that explains the normal path toward graduation. Because engineering classes build on other classes and may only be offered once per year, you should try to follow that recommended path as closely as possible. You should then review your plan with academic advisor Lavdie Huff.

How do I get admitted to the professional program?

Any student at BYU can declare a Chemical Engineering major and begin taking the required classes. However, entrance into the professional program is a requirement before you can take junior-year chemical engineering classes. You must complete a certain number of prerequisite classes, meet with your academic advisor, and complete a paper form. The purpose of this meeting is to ensure you have adequate preparation to succeed in this major and to advise you on your path to graduation. This meeting generally takes place during the winter semester of your sophomore year (for most, when you are taking ChEn 273). For a transfer student who has taken the equivalent of ChEn 273 at another university, this meeting will take place with Lavdie Huff when you first arrive on campus.

The BYU registration website does not allow me to register for certain classes because I have not taken the prerequisites. What should I do?

As a transfer student, you should seek advice from Lavdie Huff on whether a course you have already taken will count as the BYU prerequisite you lack. He will follow the guidelines listed in the above "Students coming from ..." documents. Once you arrive in Provo, Lavdie Huff will complete the appropriate paperwork to make this course-equivalence official. In the mean time you can get permission to add a class by following the procedure found here. You should not seek this permission until you have first talked to Lavdie Huff or worked out a full semester-by-semester graduation plan with your academic advisor.